Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hadley Grass--Asparagus!

An article in Saveur caught my attention the other day when I noticed that it was about "Hadley Grass". That would be asparagus, for those of you in the know. I wasn't, to be honest, but I figured out why when I kept reading: Hadley, with its excellent soil, produced some of the finest asparagus in the country for much of the 20th century until a fungus all but killed the roots of the crop back in the 1970s (before I was born). Asparagus is still grown in the area, but not on the scale that it once was. David Nussbaum, the writer of this article, does a fantastic job of describing Hadley and its farmers and the asparagus legacy.

Since Hadley's asparagus crop is no longer huge, today the vegetable is mostly sold at local farm stands and stores. So, while asparagus is still in season, go out and buy it at farm stands! I bet it's delicious. I know my family's (grown in Granby) is.

P.S.--Does anyone remember road signs that read "Welcome to Hadley--Asparagus Capital of the World"? I'd love to see a photo if anyone has one!

No comments:

Post a Comment