Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Purpose of this Blog

Why am I writing this blog?

Let’s be clear: there may be an economic crisis of global scale and new house construction and existing house sales may be at their lowest levels in decades, but Hadley and the towns around it still are not immune from development pressures.

In fact, now may be the perfect time to advocate for conservation since the pressure to sell land and build houses has (temporarily) declined.

Hadley has been losing its rural character steadily since the 1970s, when the “economic corridor” along Route 9 was developed. A 1988 bylaw limiting the development of residential subdivisions in Hadley was ruled unconstitutional by the state Supreme Judicial Court in 2004. The great housing boom of the 1990s and 2000s has scarred Hadley's character deeply. New construction may be down, but it is most likely temporary. Hadley’s historic rural character must be preserved for future generations.


There are many ways to get involved, such as donating (money or land) to a land trust, writing letters to politicians, and volunteering. All efforts have some impact. Future posts on this blog will highlight interesting parts of local history, problems this town and others nearby face today, and what has been, can, or should be accomplished on the preservation/conservation side.

2 comments:

  1. Hi: As a descendant of the Hawks family, early settlers like your Montague family, I'd love to know where I could get information on a land trust to which we could donate. We live in California, but my grandparents lived in Hadley and I loved it so much there that I named our daughter after the town. Any pointers to Hadley land trust groups would be appreciated. Thanks. --Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. BH, Great blog! I came across this by accident while looking for some photos of a few structures I'd like to replicate for a woodworking business I'm trying to gear up, especially starting up a line of historically themed birdhouses. When you live next to the oldest cemetery and history practically surrounds you, right off the bat you have plenty to work with. BTW, you can bet I'm pretty pleased that there's at least one new sign marking off land preservation efforts, in fact right across the old Cemetery, roughly right across from the very middle.

    Please keep this blog alive! When I have more time, I'd like to get back to you about the legendary "Angel." Have to forewarn you: I'm a Catholic of Irish descent, so you can imagine how little sympathy I'll have for the likes of the double-regicides, Goffe and Whalley.

    Hey, I used to live in Amherst, and that town was named after a guy who gave some thought to pulling off what Saddamn and his pals definitely would've pulled off if they had the stuff. What's that general's name, Oh yeah, it was Amherst. Now there's some talk of changing the name. One can only imagine.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete